THELONIOUS MONK CRISS-CROSS RARE ORIG 1961 COLUMBIA MONO WHITE LABEL PROMO LP
WE CURRENTLY HAVE ALMOST 1100 LISTED ITEMS. TO DISPLAY ALL OUR AUCTIONS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER (BY ARTISTS’ NAMES) ►CLICK HERE
►Click here to see our ROCK auctions ►See our JAZZ auctions ►See our BLUES auctions ►See our COUNTRY auctions ►See our CLASSICAL auctions ► See our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►See our PROMO auctions ►See our SOUL auctions ►See our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· THELONIOUS MONK with CHARLIE ROUSE and others – CRISS-CROSS - ORIGINAL 1962 COLUMBIA RECORDS MONO LP CL-2038
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· *** WHITE LABEL PROMO ***
· *** IN ADDITION, THE PROMOTIONAL TIMING STRIP ON THE COVER CLEARLY IDENTIFIES THE ITEM AS PROMOTIONAL ***
· ORIGINAL COLUMBIA "GUARANTEED FIDELITY" MONO LABEL, WHITE PROMO VERSION
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· MACHINE-STAMPED MATRIX NUMBER IN TRAIL-OFF VINYL (DEAD WAX) OF THE RECORD
· MATRIX NUMBER IN TRAIL-OFF VINYL (DEAD WAX) ENDS WITH '-2E/2F
· MONO version of this album has NEVER been available on legitimate Compact Disc or in any other digital format.
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
Criss-Cross -- Thelonious Monk's second album for Columbia Records -- features some of the finest work that Monk ever did in the studio with his '60s trio and quartet. Whether revisiting pop standards or reinventing Monk's own classic compositions, Monk and Charlie Rouse (tenor sax), John Ore (bass), and Frankie Dunlop (drums) exchange powerful musical ideas, as well as provide potent solos throughout the disc. Fittingly, "Hackensack" -- a frenetic original composition -- opens the disc by demonstrating the bandleader's strength in a quartet environment. The solid rhythmic support of the trio unfetters Monk into unleashing endless cascades of percussive inflections and intoxicating chord progressions. The title cut also reflects the ability of the four musicians to maintain melodic intricacies that are at times so exigent it seems cruel that Monk would have expected a musician of any caliber to pull them off. "Tea for Two" showcases Monk's appreciation for the great stride or "walking" piano style of James P. Johnson and Willie "The Lion" Smith. The arrangement here is lighter, and features a trio (minus Rouse) to accent rather than banter with Monk's splashes of magnificence throughout. Likewise, Monk's solo on "Don't Blame Me" is excellent. The extended runs up and down the keyboard can't help but reiterate the tremendous debt of gratitude owed to the original stride pianists of the early 20th century. The 1993 compact disc pressing of Criss-Cross sounds great and adds a version of "Pannonica" that was previously unissued at the time. Unfortunately, however, the liner notes originally used on the album jacket -- penned by "Pannonica"'s namesake, Baroness Nica de Koenigswarter -- were replaced by those of a writer for Rolling Stone magazine. This is prime Monk for any degree of listener.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY LINDSAY PLANER, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
THE WHITE LABEL PROMO, RADIO STATION-, AUDITION OR DEMONSTRATION COPIES AND RELEASES (such as the one we have here) were often distributed to the radio stations before the record was released to the public, sometimes as much as four months ahead. These records are generally considered to be the "first among equals": the VERY FIRST generation and the VERY FIRST pressings of the particular title; a PROTOTYPE and the earliest known official pressing of the record.
For additional historical or discography information on this album, including track listing ►click here
THIS IS A NO-RESERVE AUCTION!
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS STRONG VERY GOOD+ . CAUTION: The vinyl is NOT MINT or NEAR MINT, but is nevertheless in a very nice and clean condition. There are some surface marks and abrasions, mostly light and superficial, although some may be longer than 1.1/4 inches (1 inch = 2.5 centimeters)
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) The record comes in the original stock inner sleeve.
(d) White Promo Label version of this title is much rarer that a regular, commercially released, version of this title. We estimate that stock copies of this album outnumber promo copies by a ratio of at least 100:1.
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
THE COVER IS ABOUT VERY GOOD+(+)
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has some light yellowish stains, probably from exposure to humidity (nothing significant).
- Cover shows some light yellowing on both sides, apparently from aging.
- Cover has some light ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 3 (front side) and 4 (back side)
- Visible writing noted along the opening on back side, in black marker, about 3/4 x 10 inch in size
- Cover has a few tiny wrinkles along the spine
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No split seams
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No dirt/dust rubbing stains (friction marks caused by rubbing against other covers)
- No stamps
- No tearing: no chips, dents or nicks on the seams
- No peel-off marks
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No wax, glue, paint or liquid drops on the cover
- No glue traces or wax residue.
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►click here. While you can be rest assured that ►our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ►HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
►OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ►OUR GRADING POLICY ►ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ►HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ►OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ►ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ►OUR REFUND POLICY ►POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ►PAYMENT DEADLINES ►FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ►Click here for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.
- Popular in following searches:
- white cross