ROLAND KIRK TRIPLE THREAT INSANELY RARE ORIG'56 KING MONO LP DEEP GROOVE NR MINT
WE CURRENTLY HAVE NEARLY 1,000 LISTED ITEMS
?Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ?Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ?Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ? Our JAZZ auctions ?Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ?Our BLUES auctions ?Our CLASSICAL auctions ?Our COUNTRY auctions ?Our FUNK auctions ?Our LATIN auctions ?Our METAL auctions?Our REGGAE auctions ?Our SOUL auctions ? Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ?Our PROMO auctions ?Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· ROLAND KIRK – TRIPLE THREAT – INSANELY RARE ORIGINAL 1955 KING RECORDS’ MONO LP 395-506
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· ONE OF THE RAREST JAZZ ALBUMS IN EXISTENCE AND THE TRUE HOLY GRAIL OF JAZZ COLLECTING; NEAR MINT COPIES OF THIS MONSTER RARITY ARE ALL BUT UNKNOWN, AND THIS COPY IS PROBABLY THE WORLD'S BEST-PRESERVED SPECIMEN: THE CONDITION OF THIS COPY IS NOTHING SHORT OF BREATHTAKING
· ORIGINAL “CROWNLESS” BLACK KING MONO LABEL WITH SILVER PRINT AND SMALL (½ -INCH WIDE) LETTERS
· DEEP GROOVE PRESSING
· FLAT-EDGE PRESSING
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· IMPORTANT NOTE: KING LABEL WAS NOTORIOUS FOR ITS CHEAP AND SHODDILY CONSTRUCTED AND ASSEMBLED COVERS, WHICH WERE EXCEPTIONALLY SUSCEPTIBLE TO SEAM-SPLITTING AND WEAR- AND- TEAR. WE CAN PROBABLY COUNT ON THE FINGERS OF ONE HAND (AND STILL HAVE A FEW FINGERS LEFT) ALL THE KING COVERS MADE BETWEEN 1955 AND 1970 WITHOUT ANY SPLIT SEAMS WE HAVE ENCOUNTERED IN THE PAST 42 YEARS OF COLLECTING (MANY APPEAR TO HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY WITH SPLIT SEAMS!!!); TO FIND A SPECIMEN WITHOUT ANY SPLIT SEAMS WHICH IS 60 YEARS OLD - LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE JUST LOOKING AT - IS NOT ONLY UNBELIEVABLE, IT IS DOWNRIGHT SURREAL. THESE THINGS SIMPLY DO NOT EXIST.
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· As far as we know, this album has NEVER been available on legitimate Compact Disc or in any other way, manner or format.
(?PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
Triple Threat is the debut album by jazz multi-instrumentalist Roland Kirk originally released on the King label in 1956, rereleased on the Bethlehem label as Third Dimension and on the Affinity label as Early Roots (we have the one and only King original here, folks!) The original album received limited distribution and only became widely known after it was rereleased a few years prior to Kirk's death. It features performances by Kirk with James Madison, Carl Pruitt and Henry Duncan recorded in New York City in 1956. The album features the first recorded examples of Kirk's trademark playing of multiple wind instruments at the same time as well as two tracks ("Stormy Weather" and "The Nearness of You") where he overdubbed manzello and tenor saxophone. Kirk would later state that the album "was about the third overdub(bed) record in black classical music".
All compositions by Roland Kirk except where noted.
"Roland's Theme" - 2:51
"Slow Groove" - 6:52
"Stormy Weather" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) - 4:38
"The Nearness of You" (Hoagy Carmichael, Ned Washington) - 5:34
"A La Carte" - 2:22
"Easy Living" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) - 4:40
"Triple Threat" - 2:29
Recorded in New York City on November 9, 1956
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS NEAR MINT. Some VERY LIGHT AND SUPERFICIAL abrasions – mostly sleeve scuffs - are (barely) visible, but are probably inaudible, and do not affect visual integrity or beauty of the vinyl. The original luster is very much intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The record has a "deep groove" (an indent in the label about 1/2-inch from the edge of the label, which on SOME labels is associated with very early or first pressings).
(c) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(d) True Stereo copies of this album are NOT known to exist.
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT EXCELLENT OR VERY GOOD++ (VG++).
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has some light ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 3 (front side) and 2 (back side)
- Cover shows some light yellowing on both sides, apparently from aging (nothing significant).
- Cover has two corners slightly worn / dinged / bent.
- Visible shelf wear noted on the seams.
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No split seams (yet, but top and bottom seams are very frail)
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No dirt/dust rubbing stains (friction marks caused by rubbing against other covers)
- No wrinkles or creases
- No writing
- No stamps
- No peel-off marks
- No stains
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No wax, glue, paint or liquid drops on the cover
- No glue traces or wax residue.
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ?click here. While you can be rest assured that ?our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ?HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
?OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ?OUR GRADING POLICY ?ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ?HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ?OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ?ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ?OUR REFUND POLICY ?POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ?PAYMENT DEADLINES ?FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ?Click here for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.