LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS & BLUES INSANELY RARE ORIG '57 HERALD MONO LP BLACK LBL BEAUTY
►Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our FUNK auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· LIGHTNIN’ HOPKINS – LIGHTNIN’ AND THE BLUES – MONSTROUSLY RARE ORIGINAL 1957 HERALD RECORDS MONO LP 1012
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· INSANELY RARE ORIGINAL HERALD PRESSING – ONE OF THE RAREST RECORDS IN EXISTENCE, AND CERTAINLY THE RAREST BLUES ALBUM EVER RELEASED; WE ESTIMATE THAT LESS THAN 150 PLAYABLE COPIES EXIST WORLDWIDE!!!
· ORIGINAL BLACK, MATTE (NON-GLOSSY) HERALD LABEL WITH SILVER PRINT AND “TRUMPET & BANNER” LOGO
· DEEP GROOVE PRESSING
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· ORIGINAL LAMINATED COVER
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· MACHINE STAMP IN THE TRAIL-OFF VINYL (DEAD WAX) OF THE RECORD
· As far as we know, this album is currently out of print and unavailable on Compact Disc, or in any other format.
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you'll get. GUARANTEED!)
Nothing more, nothing less, than one of two or three most important modern blues albums in existence, and DEFINITELY THE SINGLE RAREST 12-INCH BLUES ALBUM IN HISTORY, PERIOD! So rare is this piece that not even many hardcore Blues collectors have seen one in decades of collecting. It is not an exaggeration to say that this album is a GOLDEN STANDARD by which rarity of other blues albums are measured. On a 1-10 rarity scale, this piece registers 99.½ !. Myself, I can only say that this is the second playable copy I have seen in 37 years.
As for the music: this is Lightnin’ at his darkest, ominous, brooding, menacing best. Even where accompanied by sublime rhythm section, he and his intricate guitar work take the stage front and center. One or two tracks are uptempo tunes done in the manner of early amplified Memphis Blues on Sam Phillips’ Sun label, which is really fascinating, as they – in some ways– anticipate the imminent arrival of Rock’n’ Roll. I get tingles along my spine just THINKING of the music embedded in these grooves. In short, this is a lean, mean, Lightnin’ Hopkins at his very finest.
No wonder, than, that many up-and-coming, aspiring young Blues artist went straight back to pumping gas after hearing this album only once. Among the Blues albums, this surely is a Mount Rushmore, an unattainable Blues peak hovering above the fray.
A cornerstone of modern blues. No ifs, ands or buts. PERIOD!!!
For additional historical information on this album, including track listing ►click here
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS STRONG VG++, just a notch below NEAR MINT. A few light abrasions (probably just sleeve scuffs inflicted in storage over the years) ARE VISIBLE, but they appear fairly insignificant relative to the overall condition of the vinyl, and are only moderately visually distracting. For most part, the vinyl looks impeccable, without any MAJOR visual flaws or imperfections. Much of the original luster is intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new. (a very light and superficial 3-inch scuff on side 2 slightly spoils the visual impression, but is otherwise completely inaudible and does not affect playing)
(b) The record has a "deep groove" (an indent in the label about 1/2-inch from the edge of the label, which on SOME labels is associated with very early or first pressings).
(c) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(d) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· COVER (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, LAMINATED, GLOSSY COVER):
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT EXCELLENT OR VERY GOOD+++.
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has a partially split bottom seam (between 2 and 4 inches / 5 to 10 centimeters); This split seam was delicately taped by the previous owner with a piece of transparent scotch tape
- Cover has one corner slightly worn (nothing significant)
- Cover shows JUST A HINT of yellowing on back side, apparently from aging (nothing significant)
- Back cover has circular tarnish (grayish, dust-covered sections, which closely follow the contour of the record), probably caused by friction or by rubbing against other covers during the storage. The tarnish is similar in appearance to a common ring wear, but, UNLIKE ring wear, these grayish areas may be possible to clean up with a minor effort and with a right cleansing solution.
- Minor shelf wear noted on the spine (nothing significant)
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No ring wear
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No wrinkles or creases
- No writing
- No stamps
- No tearing: no chips, dents or nicks on the seams
- No peel-off marks
- No stains
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No wax, glue, paint or liquid drops on the cover
- No glue traces or wax residue.
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►click here. While you can be rest assured that ►our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ►HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
►OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ►OUR GRADING POLICY ►ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ►HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ►OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ►ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ►OUR REFUND POLICY ►POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ►PAYMENT DEADLINES ►FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ►Click here for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.