JOE McPHEE NATION TIME INSANELY RARE ORIG '71 FREE JAZZ PRIVATE LP ON CJR LABEL
<img src= http://pics
?Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ?Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ?Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ? Our JAZZ auctions ?Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ?Our BLUES auctions ?Our CLASSICAL auctions ?Our COUNTRY auctions ?Our FUNK auctions ?Our LATIN auctions ?Our METAL auctions?Our REGGAE auctions ?Our SOUL auctions ? Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ?Our PROMO auctions ?Our ACETATE auctions ?Our TEST PRESSING auctions ?Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· JOE McPHEE – NATION TIME MONSTROUSLY RARE ORIGINAL 1971 PRIVATE PRESSING RELEASED ON CJR LABEL – ORIGINAL 1971 CJR STEREO LP 1003
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· ORIGINAL TURQUOISE CJR LABEL WITH SILVER PRINT
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· RARE FIRST (ENTIRELY BLACK & WHITE) COVER WITHOUT 'AFRO-CENTRIC' COLOR SCHEME (RED, BLACK, GREEN) ON THE FRONT PANEL
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
(?PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you'll get. GUARANTEED!)
Tenor saxophonist Joe McPhee has been a cult figure in the jazz world despite a string of releases on the visible Hat Art label and vocal support from the likes of Ken Vandermark. Nation Time is good evidence why. Its three tracks were recorded live in December 1970 and released the following year on the tiny independent CjR Records. "Nation Time" and "Scorpio's Dance" feature McPhee with a quintet that mixes electric and acoustic instruments with dual percussionists. In a way, this is familiar territory, working Coltrane-inspired repetitions and a nearly reckless group interplay against a variety of musical textures. Here some electric piano or full-speed drumming, there roughly wailed sax or a trumpet pushing notes to a near drone. But no matter how familiar the approach, the end result is inventive and captivating as these two pieces shift from nearly conventional extended improvisations to less structured sound without ever sounding forced.
However, it's the 13-minute "Shakey Jake" that seems like the birth of a wonderful new style that unfortunately never went any further. With the quintet expanded by an alto sax, organist, and electric guitarist, McPhee gets busy marrying free jazz to James Brown funk or maybe creating a vision of what would have happened if early-'60s Coltrane had revisited his R&B youth. The band sets up a complex but danceable groove while the soloists surf along, twisting melodies and pushing the beat but never relying on repeated riffs. Despite their various ideas and overlapped solos, the effect is collaborative not competitive as if they realized what a rare experience this would be.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY LANG THOMPSON, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
A - Nation Time - 18:30
B1 - Shakey Jake - 13:32
B2 - Scorpio's Dance - 8:40
Alto Saxophone – Otis Greene (tracks: B1)
Double Bass, Bass, Trumpet – Tyrone Crabb
Electric Guitar – Dave Jones (8) (tracks: B1)
Organ – Herbie Lehman (tracks: B1)
Percussion – Bruce Thompson (2), Ernest Bostic
Piano, Electric Piano – Mike Kull
Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet – Joe McPhee
Recorded live on December 12 and 13, 1970 at Chicago Hall at Vassar College Urban Center for Black Studies.
· THE RECORD
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS EXCELLENT. This is one of those albums that are somewhat difficult to grade. It is somewhere between VG++ and NEAR MINT, just a notch below NEAR MINT. A few light abrasions ARE visible, but they are extremely shallow, superficial and only moderately visually distracting (nothing significant).For the most part, the vinyl looks impeccable without any MAJOR visual flaws or imperfections. Much of the original luster is intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· THE COVER
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT EXCELLENT OR VERY GOOD+++.
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has JUST A HINT of ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 1.
- Cover shows JUST A HINT of yellowing on back side, apparently from aging.
- Cover has some tiny, faint writing on its back side (a microscopic price code written in one corner)
- The cover has a small (1") razor-like line (cut) on the back panel, as if someone attempted to cut away the shrink wrap with a razor, but inadvertently left the mark on the cover as well. The paper slick is intact and no part is missing, but the razor line is visible.
NO OTHER VISIBLE FLAWS OR IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND (BUT DO NOT INSIST) that you select USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from one region of the world to another. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ?click here. While you can be rest assured that our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ?HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
?OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ?OUR GRADING POLICY ?ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ?HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ?OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ?ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ?OUR REFUND POLICY ?POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ?PAYMENT DEADLINES ?FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED; Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ?Click here for the full text of our policy
FINE (BUT IMPORTANT!) PRINT
(1) The year indicated in the title bar is the year of the original release, NOT necessarily the year of the actual pressing; for the actual generation of the pressing, please see our item description (top section, text in red letters). (2) Please do NOT bid based on the title bar, subtitle bar or item specifics box alone; instead, please read the entire description and grading before bidding; (3) Absolutely NO order cancellations after the auction closes. ever, under any circumstances. We can ONLY cancel bids before the item closes. (4) We are unable to cancel bids in the final 12 hours of the auction; if you need to do so, please contact eBay for help (5) We are unable to provide matrix-, stamper- or other pressing information in the final 24 hours of the auction. If you require this information, please contact us well before the final day of the auction. (6) Yes, we DO combine shipments. Please click on "Shipping and Payment" tab on top of the auction page for additional details. (7) All Paypal payments must be made from confirmed Paypal shipping addresses. NO third party shipping addresses will be honored (8) Absolutely NO partial refunds: if you are unhappy with the merchandise you received, please return it for a full refund, postage included (9). Civilized people can disagree without accusing each other of being indecent or dishonest; if you need proof of this seller's personal integrity, please check our eBay feedback, which speaks for itself (10) All disagreements and miscommunications can be - and will only be - solved in a civil and mutually respectful manner; please avoid puerile, offensive, abrasive or menacing language (attempted humor is fine and usually appreciated, although overused-to-death sarcasms can be really, really tedious. (11) This seller will accommodate all reasonable requests and is generally a flexible and agreeable person (12) Our love & appreciation for your trust, loyalty and business, always and forever; Thank You & Good Night!
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.
On May-23-21 at 15:33:48 PDT, seller added the following information:
Track Page Views With
Auctiva's FREE Counter