ETTA JAMES AT LAST NEAR MINT ORIGINAL 1961 ARGO MONO LP
►Click here to see our ROCK auctions ►See our JAZZ auctions ►See our BLUES auctions ►See our COUNTRY auctions ►See our CLASSICAL auctions ► See our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►See our PROMO auctions ►See our SOUL auctions ►See our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· ETTA JAMES – AT LAST (ETTA’S SECOND ALBUM FOR CHESS/ARGO LABEL) - ORIGINAL 1960 ARGO RECORDS MONO LP 4003
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· ORIGINAL TURQUOISE (BLUE-GREEN) ARGO MONO LABEL WITH GOLD PRINT
· DEEP GROOVE PRESSING
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· MONO version of this album has NEVER been available on legitimate Compact Disc or in any other digital format.
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
After spending a few years in limbo after scoring her first R&B hits "Dance With Me, Henry" and "Good Rocking Daddy," Etta James returned to the spotlight in 1960 with her first Chess release, At Last. James made both the R&B and pop charts with the album's title cut, "All I Could Do Was Cry," and "Trust in Me." What makes At Last a great album is not only the solid hits it contains, but also the strong variety of material throughout. James expertly handles jazz standards like "Stormy Weather" and "A Sunday Kind of Love," as well as Willie Dixon's blues classic "I Just Want to Make Love to You." James demonstrates her keen facility on the title track in particular, as she easily moves from powerful blues shouting to more subtle, airy phrasing; her Ruth Brown-inspired, bad-girl growl only adds to the intensity. James would go on to even greater success with later hits like "Tell Mama," but on At Last one hears the singer at her peak in a swinging and varied program of blues, R&B, and jazz standards.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY STEPHEN COOK, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
The Queen of Soul and R&B (a few years before Aretha was crowned) recorded this, her sophomore effort for Chess/Argo in the fall of 1960. The songs are vintage Chess soul, which aged with infinite grace, like a good wine.
For additional historical or discography information on this album, including track listing ►click here
THIS IS A NO-RESERVE AUCTION!
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS (WEAK) NEAR MINT. Some VERY LIGHT AND SUPERFICIAL abrasions – mostly sleeve scuffs - are (barely) visible, but are probably inaudible, and do not affect visual integrity or beauty of the vinyl. The original luster is very much intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) The record has a "deep groove" (an indent in the label about 1/2-inch from the edge of the label, which on SOME labels is associated with very early or first pressings).
(d) The record comes in a poly-lined inner sleeve, which has - apparently with success - shielded the vinyl from the harmful impact of elements over many years!
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT VERY GOOD++ (VG++).
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- A visible water stain affects the area about 1 inch wide along the spine (about 10% of the surface on each side); there is no structural damage to the cover, and both cardboard base and paper slick are intact, however, the stain is visible
- Back cover has circular tarnish (grayish, dust-covered sections, which closely follow the contour of the record), probably caused by friction or by rubbing against other covers during the storage. The tarnish is similar in appearance to a common ring wear, but, UNLIKE ring wear, these grayish areas may be possible to clean up with a minor effort and with a right cleansing solution.
- Cover has some light ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 2 (front side) and 4 (back side)
- Cover shows some light yellowing on back side, apparently from aging.
- Minor shelf wear noted on the top and bottom seams (nothing significant)
- Cover has a few tiny wrinkles along the spine
- Cover has one corner slightly worn / frayed / bent (just a beginning of the split seam)
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No writing
- No stamps
- No tearing: no chips, dents or nicks on the seams
- No peel-off marks
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No wax, glue, paint or liquid drops on the cover
- No glue traces or wax residue.
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►click here. While you can be rest assured that ►our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ►HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
►OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ►OUR GRADING POLICY ►ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ►HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ►OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ►ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ►OUR REFUND POLICY ►POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ►PAYMENT DEADLINES ►FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ►Click here for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.