SONNY ROLLINS w/MJQ AT MUSIC INN INSANELY RARE SEALED ORIG'58 ATLANTIC STEREO LP
To save auctions to your favourites, please login
If you don't have an account, please register
<img src= http://pics
WE CURRENTLY HAVE MORE THAN 400 LISTED ITEMS
?Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ?Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ?Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ? Our JAZZ auctions ?Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ?Our BLUES auctions ?Our CLASSICAL auctions ?Our COUNTRY auctions ?Our FUNK auctions ?Our LATIN auctions ?Our METAL auctions?Our REGGAE auctions ?Our SOUL auctions ? Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ?Our PROMO auctions ?Our ACETATE auctions ?Our TEST PRESSING auctions ?Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· SONNY ROLLINS WITH MODERN JAZZ QUARTET - AT THE MUSIC INN, VOL. 2 – VERY RARE ORIGINAL ATLANTIC RECORDS STEREO LP SD-1299
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
*** STILL SEALED GUARANTEED ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING ***
· GUARANTEED MEGA-RARE FIRST PRESSING ON LIME-GREEN ATLANTIC STEREO LABEL WITH BLACK PRINT
· EXTREMELY RARE ORIGINAL STEREO PRESSING, MANY TIMES RARER THAN MONO
· THE THICKNESS OF THE VINYL, THE APPEARANCE AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE COVER, LABEL’S LOGO AND OTHER PERIPHERAL ELEMENTS OF THE COVER, ARE ALL PERFECTLY CONSISTENT WITH THE ORIGINAL, FIRST PRESSING OF THIS TITLE.
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· ORIGINAL LAMINATED COVER
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
(?PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
The second volume of the Modern Jazz Quartet at the Music Inn was released in 1959, a year after its historic first volume with guest Jimmy Giuffre. The format on this set is similar, with pianist John Lewis, vibraphonist Milt Jackson, bassist Percy Heath, and drummer Connie Kay moving through a gorgeous medley of standards to open including "Stardust," "I Can't Get Started," and "Lover Man," with beautiful and clever counterpoint between Lewis and Jackson on the melody lines. There are two of Lewis' originals here as well. The first is the wry, spare "Midsömmer" that begins atmospherically, with sparse lines played by Jackson that reverberate as Heath's bowed bass underscores them. When Lewis enters, the melody unfolds tenderly and thoughtfully. It's a ballad of tension and textures. Lewis' penchant for classical architecture permeates the tune, though it swings gently as well, with Kay's brushed cymbals and gracefully caressed hi hat. "Festival "Sketch," at a little over three-and-a-half minutes, takes a counterpoint melody and generates a skittering swing tune out of it. As on the previous volume, the Modern Jazz Quartet are joined by a guest for the final two cuts; ace saxophonist Sonny Rollins digs in on both the classic "Bags Groove," composed by Jackson, and Dizzy Gillespie's bebop anthem "Night in Tunisia." Both tunes are rooted in blues grooves. Rollins understands the MJQ's use of tension and dynamics beautifully. His big, warm tone above Lewis and Jackson on the former is sweet, relaxed, and in-the-pocket. On the latter, the knotty melodic frame is played a little slower, but is a tough fingerpopper nonetheless, with Rollins playing accents in the opening vamps and the just gliding into his big bluesy solo. This is a welcome addition to volume one, and a larger study in contrasts given Rollins propensity to really blow, as opposed Giuffre's lower key approach on the first volume. To say that this set works is an understatement. It is a highlight of the group's storied career on Atlantic.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY THOM JUREK, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
TO SEE IF WE HAVE OTHER LISTED ITEMS BY THIS GROUP OR ARTIST ? CLICK HERE
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) THE ALBUM IS STILL FACTORY SEALED AND IS BELIEVED TO BE PERFECTLY MINT. Please note: sealed items are assumed to be mint and are sold as-is, as we have no way of inspecting them. For our policy on still sealed records ?click here (PLEASE READ BEFORE PLACING A BID).
(b) The album comes with its original, 'rice paper' inner sleeve (typically used in the 50’s and very early 60’s) which has - apparently with success - shielded the vinyl from the harmful impact of elements over many years! We believe that, despite great technological progress, these early 'rice paper' inner sleeves provided a degree of protection MUCH HIGHER than any other material used ever since [WE CAN SEE IT THROUGH THE OPENING].
(c) Stereo pressing of this title is much rarer, and by far more preferable to its mono counterpart. The mix is more graphic, the sound resolution more precise, and the channel separation (which does not exist on mono version) adds a whole new dimension to the music. Also, the stereo mixes are (by definition) somewhat different than on the mono version. We estimate that mono copies of this album outnumber stereo copies by a ratio of at least 5:1.
(d) The record is apparently pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· COVER (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, LAMINATED, GLOSSY COVER):
COVER IS (WEAK) NEAR MINT, STILL SEALED AND COVERED IN ITS ORIGINAL ?SHRINK WRAP (ACTUALLY, A LOOSE-FITTING PLASTIC BAGGY, TYPICALLY USED FOR SEALING LP ALBUMS IN THE LATE '50s AND EARLY '60s)
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Back cover has a few yellowish dust speckles scattered here and there.
- Cover has a small quality control (inspection) stamp on the back panel
- Cover shows JUST A HINT of yellowing on both sides, apparently from aging.
NO OTHER VISIBLE FLAWS OR IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND (BUT DO NOT INSIST) that you select USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from one region of the world to another. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ?click here. While you can be rest assured that our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ?HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
?OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ?OUR GRADING POLICY ?ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ?HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ?OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ?ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ?OUR REFUND POLICY ?POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ?PAYMENT DEADLINES ?FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED; Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ?Click here for the full text of our policy
FINE (BUT IMPORTANT!) PRINT
(1) The year indicated in the title bar is the year of the original release, NOT necessarily the year of the actual pressing; for the actual generation of the pressing, please see our item description (top section, text in red letters). (2) Please do NOT bid based on the title bar, subtitle bar or item specifics box alone; instead, please read the entire description and grading before bidding; (3) Absolutely NO order cancellations after the auction closes. ever, under any circumstances. We can ONLY cancel bids before the item closes. (4) We are unable to cancel bids in the final 12 hours of the auction; if you need to do so, please contact eBay for help (5) We are unable to provide matrix-, stamper- or other pressing information in the final 24 hours of the auction. If you require this information, please contact us well before the final day of the auction. (6) Yes, we DO combine shipments. Please click on "Shipping and Payment" tab on top of the auction page for additional details. (7) All Paypal payments must be made from confirmed Paypal shipping addresses. NO third party shipping addresses will be honored (8) Absolutely NO partial refunds: if you are unhappy with the merchandise you received, please return it for a full refund, postage included (9). Civilized people can disagree without accusing each other of being indecent or dishonest; if you need proof of this seller's personal integrity, please check our eBay feedback, which speaks for itself (10) All disagreements and miscommunications can be - and will only be - solved in a civil and mutually respectful manner; please avoid puerile, offensive, abrasive or menacing language (attempted humor is fine and usually appreciated, although overused-to-death sarcasms can be really, really tedious. (11) This seller will accommodate all reasonable requests and is generally a flexible and agreeable person (12) Our love & appreciation for your trust, loyalty and business, always and forever; Thank You & Good Night!
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.
On May-24-21 at 00:34:43 PDT, seller added the following information:
Track Page Views With
Auctiva's FREE Counter