Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark Electricity 7” vinyl 1979 Factory - FAC 6
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark Electricity 7” 45 rpm vinyl 1979 Factory Records - FAC 6
- Rare Black on Black Sleeve
Housed in the original picture sleeve which displays just a little shelfwear & age discolouration, the vinyl itself shows only minor surface wear.
Thanks for looking, let me know if you have any questions.
- Track A recorded at Henry's Studio, West Kirby, Liverpool.
Track B recorded at Cargo Studios, Rochdale; Mixed at Strawberry Studios, Stockport.
Edition of 5000, sold out by September 1979. Housed in black on black thermographic sleeve and printed and hand folded and glued by John Roberts and Sons Printers, Chapel Street, Salford.
"Peter's idea for this sleeve originated in a thermographic machine installed in the Manchester Polygraphics Department at that time. Peter wanted to experiment with using the same colour thermo ink as the card it was printed on. Originally offered the sleeve concept to A Certain Ratio in the bar of the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester, who, arrogant little bastards, told him to get lost. Instead he gave the idea to OMD, became their regular designer and won countless awards for his work with them in the next few years." (Tony Wilson)
Still in 1979, this was reissued by DinDisc, with the A-side produced by Martin Hannett, and the artwork replaced with standard white on black printing. On this re-release, the catalogue number became DinDisc DIN 2, but it was still a "Factory Records Product". Tony Wilson wrote about that in the September 1979 Factory Newsletter and Shareholder's Analysis:
"Record now licensed to Dindisc, Virgin's new label; to engage in the chart game as of Sep 28th '79. Necessity for licensing 'the best example of this to date' (NME) is regretted but the big stall holders seem to fill the square (chart shops) and subletting is an enforced activity."
In 1980 a 3rd version of the 7" was issued (DinDisc DIN 2 - "A Factory Records Product") with both tracks now produced by OMD and Chester Valentino in the versions found on OMD's debut LP.
Cover lists the publisher as VCL II Music, whereas the labels list it as VC 11 Music
- Recorded At – Henry's Studio
- Recorded At – Cargo Studios
- Mixed At – Strawberry Studios
- Printed By – John Roberts & Sons Printers
- Mastered At – Gedmal Galvanic Ltd.
- Published By – VC 11 Music
- Lacquer Cut Side A - Porky Prime Cute, FAC6 Before 1 EG. Side B Porky Prime Cut, FAC 6 After 2, EG
- Management – P. Collister*
- Plated By – EG*
- Typography [Typographics], Design – Peter Saville (2)
- Vocals, Bass, Electronic Drums [Electronic Percussion] – Andy McCluskey
- Vocals, Keyboards, Electronic Drums [Electronic Percussion] – Paul Humphreys
- Written-By – McKlusky*, Humphries*