MILES DAVIS ASCENSEUR ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL FRENCH 10" LP
►Click here to see our ROCK auctions ►See our JAZZ auctions ►See our BLUES auctions ►See our COUNTRY auctions ►See our CLASSICAL auctions ► See our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►See our PROMO auctions ►See our SOUL auctions ►See our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· MILES DAVIS – ASCENSEUR POUR L’ECHEFAUD (THE ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS) - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK TO THE SAME-TITLED FRENCH FILM NOIR BY LOUIS MALLE FROM 1957 – ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL FRENCH PRESSING – ORIGINAL 1958 FONTANA RECORDS (FRANCE) MONO 10-INCH LP 660.213MR
· ORIGINAL FRENCH PRESSING. PRESSING
· ORIGINAL PALE GREEN FONTANA LABEL WITH RED LETTERING
· ORIGINAL FLAT-EDGE PRESSING
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST FRENCH PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THIN CARDBOARD COVER (EUROPEAN STYLE)
· ORIGINAL FLIP-BACK COVER (1/2-INCH MARGINS OF THE FRONT PANEL ARE FOLDED AND PASTED ONTO THE BACK PANEL)
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· NOTE:UNLIKE AMERICAN RELEASE OF THIS ALBUM (RELEASED ON COLUMBIA RECORDS UNDER THE TITLES: JAZZ TRACK (1958) AND FRANTIC (1961), THE ORIGINAL FRENCH ALBUM CONTAINS ONLY THE MUSIC FROM THE MOVIE (ABOUT HALF THE LENGTH OF THE AMERICAN RELEASE) BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY OF THE TRACKS FROM THE 1958 MILES DAVIS/JOHN COLTRANE QUINTET 1958 SESSIONS)
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
Jazz and Film Noir are perfect bedfellows, as evidenced by the soundtrack of Louis Malle's Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift to the Scaffold). This dark and seductive tale is wonderfully accentuated by the late-'50s cool or bop music of Miles Davis, played with French jazzmen -- bassist Pierre Michelot, pianist René Urtreger, and tenor saxophonist Barney Wilen -- and American expatriate drummer Kenny Clarke. These complete recordings, including multiple alternate takes, evoke the sensual nature of a mysterious chanteuse and the contrasting scurrying rat race lifestyle of the times, when the popularity of the automobile, cigarettes, and the late-night bar scene were central figures. Davis had seen a screening of the movie prior to his making of this music, and knew exactly how to portray the smoky hazed or frantic scenes though sonic imagery, dictated by the trumpeter mainly in D-minor and C-seventh chords. Michelot is as important a figure as the trumpeter because he sets the tone, whether on four takes of the ballad/blues "Nuit sur les Champs-Élysées," the last version a bit more swinging than the others; his probing one-note sound with the whispering horn of Davis during "Assassinat" and "Final"; and especially on his solo tracks, the slow walking "Ascenseur" (aka "Evasion de Julien") and the stalking "Visite du Vigile." While the mood of the soundtrack is generally dour and somber, the group collectively picks up the pace exponentially on the hard-swinging and freewheeling "Motel," the hotter "Sequence Voiture," and "Diner au Motel." These selections with the entire quintet featuring Wilen effectively realize chase scenes or mind gears crazily turning. At times the distinctive Davis trumpet style is echoed into dire straits or death wish motifs, as on "Generique" or "L'Assassinat de Carala," respectively, but the band can get kinda blue on takes of "Le Petit Bal," with Davis and Wilen more unified up front. Clarke is his usual marvelous self, and listeners should pay close attention to the able Urtreger, by no means a virtuoso but a capable and flexible accompanist. This recording can stand proudly alongside Duke Ellington's music from Anatomy of a Murder and the soundtrack of Play Misty for Me as great achievements of artistic excellence in fusing dramatic scenes with equally compelling modern jazz music.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY MICHAEL G. NASTOS, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
THIS IS A NO-RESERVE AUCTION.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS VERY GOOD+(+) . CAUTION: The vinyl is NOT MINT or NEAR MINT, but is nevertheless in a very nice and clean condition. There are some surface marks and abrasions, mostly light and superficial, although some may be longer than 1.1/4 inches (1 inch = 2.5 centimeters)
(b) This is the original FLAT-EDGE pressing
(c) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(d) The album comes with its original, 'rice paper' inner sleeve (typically used in the 50’s and very early 60’s) which has - apparently with success - shielded the vinyl from the harmful impact of elements over many years! We believe that, despite great technological progress, these early 'rice paper' inner sleeves provided a degree of protection MUCH HIGHER than any other material used ever since.
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT VERY GOOD++ (VG++).
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has a few tiny wrinkles along the spine
- Cover has some light ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 3
- Cover shows some light yellowing on both sides, apparently from aging.
- Minor grease-like stain noted on the bottom seam (VISIBLE ON BACK SIDE ONLY) ; (less than ½ square inch in size)
- Back cover has circular tarnish (grayish, dust-covered sections, which closely follow the contour of the record), probably caused by friction or by rubbing against other covers during the storage. The tarnish is similar in appearance to a common ring wear, but, UNLIKE ring wear, these grayish areas may be possible to clean up with a minor effort and with a right cleansing solution.
- Cover has a minor 'bump' (dent/cut) along the upper seam / lower seam / spine (about ¼ inch in length) (VISIBLE ON BACK SIDE ONLY)
- Minor shelf wear noted on the seams (nothing significant)
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No split seams (yet)
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No writing
- No stamps
- No tearing: no chips, dents or nicks on the seams
- No peel-off marks
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No wax, glue, paint or liquid drops on the cover
- No glue traces or wax residue.
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►click here. While you can be rest assured that ►our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ►HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
►OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ►OUR GRADING POLICY ►ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ►HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ►OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ►ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ►OUR REFUND POLICY ►POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ►PAYMENT DEADLINES ►FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ►Click here for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.
- Popular in following searches:
- miles davis ascenseur