ETTA JAMES LOSERS WEEPERS ULTRA-RARE STILL SEALED ORIGINAL '69 CADET LP CADET
To save auctions to your favourites, please login
If you don't have an account, please register
WE CURRENTLY HAVE NEARLY 200 LISTED ITEMS
►Click here to see ALL OUR ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE ROCK auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL, FUNK & R&B auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our ACETATE auctions ►Our TEST PRESSING auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· ETTA JAMES – LOSERS WEEPERS – ORIGINAL 1970 CADET RECORDS STEREO LP LPS-847
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
*** STILL SEALED GUARANTEED ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING ***
· GUARANTEED ORIGINAL BLUE-FADES-TO-WHITE CADET LABEL WITH “HORSE’S HEAD” LOGO, MID-60’s STYLE ,
· THE THICKNESS OF THE VINYL, THE APPEARANCE AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE COVER, LABEL’S LOGO AND OTHER PERIPHERAL ELEMENTS OF THE COVER, ARE ALL PERFECTLY CONSISTENT WITH THE ORIGINAL, FIRST PRESSING OF THIS TITLE.
· TWO “BREATHE” (AIR) HOLES NOTED ON THE SHRINK WRAP
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
While spiraling out of control physically, emotionally and mentally due to a severe heroin addiction, Etta James kept on singing and recording in that dark period, somehow putting out the 'Etta James Sings Funk' and 'Losers Weepers' LPs in the late 1960s.
The latter was named for the track that gave Etta her first Top 30 R&B entry since "Security" hit in 1967. "Losers Weepers" manages to incorporate a storming-the-gates-of-heaven funk-rock chorus in what is a decisively downhome old-school soul belter. The flip, which landed on the LP as "Weepers", is a fierce continuation of the song, with more emphasis on the gospel side of thangs.
But the entire album, which went almost unnoted at the time of its release in early 1970, brims with stellar performances. There's a driving, Tyrone Davis-styled groove to the blasting opener "Take Out Some Insurance" and a lazy funk vibe emanates from a take on Gene Barge's "I Think It's You".
A little country soul is thrown in with the brilliant mid-tempo ballad "Someone", featuring Etta at her rawest, and she's equally on fire when dabbling in tropical rhythms, as demonstrated on a funky cover of Jackie Edwards' "Look at the Rain" - Etta in a reggae bag before the Staple Singers took off with "I'll Take You There!"
Classic Chicago-styled soul appears in the guise of the delightful strut "You're the Fool", a loping, bottom-heavy groove layered in brass, and Miss James goes for broke on the 6-minute slowburner "Hold Back the Tears".
Unfortunately, a couple of songs sound a tad anachronistic when put next to what is offered here. A snappy take on Duke Ellington's "I Got It Bad" and the supper club crooner "For All We Know", both crisply executed, harken back to some of the more overblown recordings she released in the early '60s.
Nevertheless, the LP ends on a grand schale with "Ease Away a Little Bit at a Time", a soothing mid-tempo soul groove heavy on the bass capped off with another frenzied vocal by Chicago's own queen of Soul. A tremendous album!
(EXCERPT FROM AN ANONYMOUS ONLINE REVIEW)
Recorded in Los Angeles with renowned arranger Gene Barge and veteran Chess producer Ralph Bass (who produced virtually all of her Argo/Cadet sides) at the controls:
1. Take Out Some In$urance 2:58
2. I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good 4:30
3. I Think It's You 3:56
4. Someone 3:50
5. Losers Weepers 2:33
6. Weepers 2:33
1. You're The Fool 2:40
2. Hold Back My Tears 6:07
3. For All We Know 3:28
4. Look At The Rain 3:04
5. Ease Away A Little Bit At A Time 3:40
TO SEE IF WE HAVE OTHER LISTED ITEMS BY THIS GROUP OR ARTIST ► CLICK HERE
· THE RECORD
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) THE ALBUM IS STILL FACTORY SEALED AND IS BELIEVED TO BE PERFECTLY MINT. Please note: sealed items are assumed to be mint and are sold as-is, as we have no way of inspecting them. For our policy on still sealed records ►click here (PLEASE READ BEFORE PLACING A BID).
(b) The record is apparently pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) The record is believed to come in its original stock inner sleeve.
(d) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· THE COVER
COVER IS STILL SEALED; HOWEVER, WE ARE UNABLE TO GRADE IT MINT OR NEAR MINT DUE TO MINOR FLAWS LISTED BELOW; WE GRADE THIS COVER AS VG++
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Back cover has a few yellowish dust speckles scattered here and there (these tiny spots cover about 50% of the surface and are somewhat oppressive) (VISIBLE ON BACK SIDE ONLY)
- Cover shows some yellowing on back side, apparently from aging.
- Cover has a few tiny wrinkles along the bottom seam (VISIBLE ON FRONT SIDE ONLY)
- Cover has two top corners slightly worn / dinged (nothing significant)
NO OTHER VISIBLE FLAWS OR IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND (BUT DO NOT INSIST) that you select USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from one region of the world to another. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►click here. While you can be rest assured that our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ►HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
►OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ►OUR GRADING POLICY ►ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ►HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ►OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ►ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ►OUR REFUND POLICY ►POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ►PAYMENT DEADLINES ►FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED; Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ►Click here for the full text of our policy
FINE (BUT IMPORTANT!) PRINT
(1) The year indicated in the title bar is the year of the original release, NOT necessarily the year of the actual pressing; for the actual generation of the pressing, please see our item description (top section, text in red letters). (2) Please do NOT bid based on the title bar, subtitle bar or item specifics box alone; instead, please read the entire description and grading before bidding; (3) Absolutely NO order cancellations after the auction closes. ever, under any circumstances. We can ONLY cancel bids before the item closes. (4) We are unable to cancel bids in the final 12 hours of the auction; if you need to do so, please contact eBay for help (5) We are unable to provide matrix-, stamper- or other pressing information in the final 24 hours of the auction. If you require this information, please contact us well before the final day of the auction. (6) Yes, we DO combine shipments. Please click on "Shipping and Payment" tab on top of the auction page for additional details. (7) All Paypal payments must be made from confirmed Paypal shipping addresses. NO third party shipping addresses will be honored (8) Absolutely NO partial refunds: if you are unhappy with the merchandise you received, please return it for a full refund, postage included (9). Civilized people can disagree without accusing each other of being indecent or dishonest; if you need proof of this seller's personal integrity, please check our eBay feedback, which speaks for itself (10) All disagreements and miscommunications can be - and will only be - solved in a civil and mutually respectful manner; please avoid puerile, offensive, abrasive or menacing language (attempted humor is fine and usually appreciated, although overused-to-death sarcasms can be really, really tedious. (11) This seller will accommodate all reasonable requests and is generally a flexible and agreeable person (12) Our love & appreciation for your trust, loyalty and business, always and forever; Thank You & Good Night!
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.
Track Page Views With